PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Chinook - Still Hitting Back 3 (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 17th Dec 2004, 22:55
walter kennedy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tandemrotor
I owe you a limited apology – most of you could not have been familiar with the system I had described for the following reason:
The aircraft equipment needed to get bearing and range to a portable is referred to as (US nomenclature) ARS-6;
I have been informed that it is not standard on any CH47-Ds;
The earliest that I can establish that the RAF had such equipment of its own was when ARS-6 was fitted as an urgent operational requirement on some RAF Chinooks to support NATO in Bosnia – fully a year later on than June 1994 – previously, I could not grasp that the UK would have lagged behind “also ran” NATO countries on such a ubiquitous system;
However, the ARS-6 uses its own two blade antennas, not ones already on the 47 and the RAF configuration had the system installed as a roll fit on a pallet for movement between aircraft – this means that the system was easily transferable between, say, a 47-D (which may have had this configuration at an earlier date) and an HC2.
So, at least the Americans were telling the truth when challenged at the crash site – they were indeed looking for THEIR equipment.