PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK CAA and plausible deniability
View Single Post
Old 17th Dec 2004, 15:10
Genghis the Engineer

Received 51 Likes on 27 Posts
UK CAA and plausible deniability

Is this just a UK problem, or is it worldwide?

The UK CAA now seems to be run on the sole basis of plausible deniability - or in other words they mustn't be seen as having been responsible for anything.

They will bring an aircraft in from abroad and rubber stamp it's approval without necessarily even flying it themselves. They won't issue a PTFTP any more, but insist on companies going to the enormous cost of gaining B-conditions (enormous for a small project anyhow), and they refuse to look for any problems in the design of anything beyond does or doesn't it meet the strict letter of the standard.

In a national authority, I have to say I'm finding it rather disturbing. It is probably to a large extent due to the de-skilling that is going on as they leach staff, funds and responsibilities to EASA - but nonetheless it worries me both from the viewpoint of aviation safety, and sheer ease of trying to work with the blighters?

I don't think it's just me, but by all means anybody disagree. For that matter, what's happening elsewhere in Europe or FAAland - is this an isolated UK problem?, or is it more widespread?

G