PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - impossable or just improbable
View Single Post
Old 16th Dec 2004, 18:09
The Rotordog

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
skidkicker75
To those of you that have criticized my spelling and grammar, firstly i was in quite a hurry to get to post out so did not have the time to be meticulous over spelling.
One thing you'd do well to learn about pilots is that we *never* use the excuse, "I was in a hurry and that's why I screwed up." We're a little strange that way. When we find ourselves being rushed, we deliberately try to slow things down. This carries over to our outside-the-cockpit attitudes, i.e. what's the rush in posting? Was your teacher going to catch you on an aviation website when you should have been studying Economics? Mom fixin' to yank the power plug on the computer because it's past eleven p.m.? We tend to sneer at those who use "I was rushed" as an excuse. But like I said, we're a little strange that way.
Second i wasnt aware that just by posting a thread on the site that i was being interviewed for a job or appraised on my intilect.
...A common misconception. Dude, you are ALWAYS being appraised on your intellect in life. Always. Every time you open your mouth or put pen to paper (finger to key?). Learn it. Deal with it. Your friends/peers may not care how you speak, but they're probably not going to be hiring you for a job. From my observation, young people have a pervasive attitude that things don't matter anymore. They take cellphone calls during interviews, and think grammar, spelling, how they act, dress or whether they wear hats indoors does not matter anymore. Yes they do, buddy. Small spelling mistakes and typing errors happen to the best of us, but please do make your best effort. It'll pay off in the long run.
Third The reason i probally have trouble spelling in down to the fact that at school all i did was look out the window wondering if i would ever fly, rather than concentrating on how to spell.
Mistake number three. There's more to flying than just being up there, and all the wishing in the world will not make it so. Stop dreaming about it and get to work. There's lots to do.
And just as a by line. I have undertaken all my cpl exams out here and have not failed one. No great shakes maybe, but i self studied for all but one. Again some of you will be saying that its no big thing, however, many of my co students have sat in on the classes for each subject and are still failing them one after another, time and time again.
What you forget is that we have all passed our tests. Most of us did not have too much trouble with them, so we do consider it "no great shakes."

Sorry if all this sounds discouraging or insulting, for that's not what I've intended. Certainly a strong desire to be a pilot is a big plus, and it goes a long way. We like that. But it takes more than that. It's taken all of us a lot of (hard) work to get where we are; it didn't happen automatically. I don't know your age, so all I'll say in closing is keep at it. You'll get there eventually if it is what you truly want.