PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Standby AFTER a duty.
View Single Post
Old 16th Dec 2004, 06:48
Phileas Fogg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Woolley,
You seem to have taken it upon yourself that you are the world's leading authority on rostering and should anyone dare to disagree with you opinion, well we've seen your reaction.

I have more years experience of crewing than I care to imagine, in every company one gets feedback that a proportion of pilots approve of their work patterns, some are pilots that never want to leave home, some are pilots that never want to see home and then there's always one or two that are never happy regardless of what. One soon learns, that one will never make all of the people happy and all of the time.

For 5 years, I set up and managed my own crewing dept. and it was the sort of company whereas my office door was always open for flight crew to come and talk with me. We are all employed to achieve the same end result and quite often pilots would discuss if there was an alternative way of planning something. We would discuss it, sometimes over a beer, and they would normally agree with me or indeed disagree but without being able to offer their own alternative suggestion(s).

You've made it perfectly clear that you have a hatred of crewing personnel, they obviously don't know as much as you and you're never going to listen to reason. I've always tried to have an amicable and mutal respect relationbship with the crews.

Now bearing in mind that you know everything and I'm just plain ignorant then you'll know the precise circumstances at Mobster's operator. Please enlighten us, with all factors taken into consideration, how you would build some SBY coverage into the rostering without a risk of disrupting rosters.

I hasten to add, that at that particular operator, many of the pilots live in excess of 1 hour away from base thus if they were rostered for pure SBY's then they may find themselves overnighting in a motorways services just to ensure they are within one hour should the phone ring.

Of course, we could do away with SBY's altogether, let's mess around the customers that pay all of our wages, lose them to another operator whilst putting ourselves on the dole queue in the process. I guess that would be better for your health, certainly not for mine.

Last edited by Phileas Fogg; 16th Dec 2004 at 07:05.