PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - trouble on takeoff
View Single Post
Old 16th Dec 2004, 01:47
16 blades

Short Blunt Shock

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To answer your question as phrased, the 'Procedure' in the event of a total power loss after take-off is to separate your body into its component parts and spread yourself over as wide an area as possible.................

But seriously, Perf A (which all commercial pax-carrying aircraft must comply with, I believe) states that, statistically, the highest probability of an aircraft not being able to cope with a SINGLE EFATO must be no greater than 1:1 000 000. A double engine failure (for a twin) is discounted because it is so statistically unlikely. That's not to say it doesn't happen - but I believe documented cases of total power loss on take-off incidents are still in single digits. (please correct me if untrue). And some of those can be put down to human error (taking off in precipitation with engine anti-icing off, for example).

It's also discounted because there's generally f*^k-all you can do about it, except lower the nose, hold wings level and crash straight ahead, hoping that you haven't pi$$ed the Almighty off of late.

16B