PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Female pilots at Ryanair???
View Single Post
Old 15th Dec 2004, 20:27
maxalt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
maxalt, I cannot believe that those events happened. The vast majority of female pilots would not dream of using something like that.
Yes, hard to believe, isn't it.
True nonetheless. I really don't have this good an imagination.

Just to rub salt into it, the female concerned took her jet type rating and buggered orf after serving about a year. She's using it to fly with another employer in the UK now.
Apparently that was why she was so upset at being streamed onto the turbo prop...she was already plotting her escape and needed the jet rating to do it.

The individuals concerned may well be reading this and no doubt recognise themselves. Perhaps she'd like to comment?

BUT...and its a big but... you are actually putting down men in your post, as you are inferring that they would actually go outside of CAA guidelines to get a female through a sim check, and go outside of employment guidelines to promote a woman ahead of a man.
Such a convoluted way to deflect blame. But you are right!
Some men are so easily manipulated by a womans tears it just ain't funny.

Me? - I'd fail anyone on the spot for crying in the Sim.
They'd be off to the shrink immediately too.
But thats just me...I'm fair and even handed by nature.

If this is the case, then perhaps the tactics of men who are in a position of "power" should be examined more thoroughly.
tactics? What TACTICS? The 'tactics' seem to be on the female side here.

As to the details of pregnancy legislation, you appear to know little about it.

Under the old rules it was allowed for a pregnant pilot to fly during the second trimester.
When JAR came in that was stopped altogether.
So no point sueing your long-sufferring employer...its the LAW.

Also, I've yet to meet a female pilot who actually WANTED to fly while pregnant!
Usually the pregnancy was timed to fall in Peak Season...so she had a nice rest while the rest of us worked our bollix off (how do you like THAT hiberno english Tom The Tenor)? And after all...if I was capable of choosing when to have a 9 month holiday on a whim...I'd pick my dates carefully too.
Lets not delude ourselves...its human nature.

As a matter of additional interest, its my experience that when a lady pilot decides to have a baby, she often decides...what the hell...lets have two and get it over with.
The result is she's off the roster for a year and a half.
Unless she can arrange a set of twins?

And off course...the company has to pay her...and she is under no obligation to work in another position...I've never known them to do so, and if they were forced...well, I imagine the sudden onset of a bout of premature labour symptoms would scare off most Chief Pilots.

Jeez...I'm so un-PC!
How dare I...I could get my eyes scratched out if I was identified!

And if men don't agree with women working as pilots then taking maternity leave, I take it they are happy with their own wives never having children, or if they do, giving up their jobs?
Well now we're getting into social engineering territory. These days we have something approaching full employment, so what I'm about to say is moot in current circumstances. However, in an environment where there is large scale unemployment, I've often thought it pitifully unfair to see certain households where BOTH spouses had very well paid jobs, while other families were on the breadline for the want of one of those very same jobs.
Seems basically unjust to me. Never actually been in that situation, but I've seen it numerous times.
Not sure what I'd do about it...perhaps we could open a new thread and kick it around there?

Last edited by maxalt; 15th Dec 2004 at 20:43.