PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - trouble on takeoff
View Single Post
Old 15th Dec 2004, 15:44
Notso Fantastic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One cold frosty morning at LHR, with rapid decisions needed about de-icing a 737, I decided the only way to check was to get up to the wing and see for myself. Apart from being a bit frosty all around, things seemed normal. I pulled a ladder over and climbed up and looked down on the leading edge. It was all absolutely clear- the top surface was perfectly visible and dry. Just before I climbed down, I gave it a brush with my hand, and that shocked me- it was solid, clear, invisible (from 12 inches away!) ice- you couldn't see it from that close and I had no idea how thick it was. You can't rely on an initial 'blow over' they do in the morning- if the conditions are right then you will be so easily into a potentially fatal situation.
FFF- I find it difficult to believe pilots were unaware of this Automatic Thrust Restoration System. The terrain around ARN is probably the best in Europe for such an event- flat, hardly built up, lots of open areas. I can imagine the pilots nerve was broken- very traumatic, but people kept flying bombers during the war after the most horrifying of damage.