PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ATIS - Wind direction in True or Mag?
View Single Post
Old 18th Mar 2001, 17:32
Ausatco

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks, Zarg. In addition to the better weather that everyone knows we have down here, I think you've surely convinced them that we have better wind too.

At my location there are 6 wind analysers - one at each end of each runway. The analysers indicate an instant wind, a 2 minute average and 10 minute peak winds.

We use two parallels and one crossing runway.

When devising a wind for the ATIS, we try to quote a wind that is representative of all the wind readouts at the relevant runway ends. That may involve a bracketed wind, eg 120 to 160 degrees, 10 to 15 knots, gusting 20 knots. We also quote mean and max crosswind and downwind components for the runways in use.

If one threshold or one DER wind is significantly different from the others, then we quote the representative wind from the "majority" and also advise the "different" one, with components.

We do not routinely provide wind checks to every landing or departure, on the basis that the ATIS is supposed to be reasonably accurate and comprehensive - though we do provide them on request.

I believe that changes are on the way. Much less detailed wind information will be quoted on the ATIS, but representative nonetheless, with accurate windchecks for each arrival and maybe departure with landing and TKOF clearance.

AA

[This message has been edited by Ausatco (edited 19 March 2001).]