PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Nimrod MRA4
Thread: Nimrod MRA4
View Single Post
Old 15th Dec 2004, 11:44
MrEff

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Regarding the 737, I agree it's a fine aeroplane but believe it just is not suited to the rough and tumble of the Nimrods many and varied operating areas. A famous engineer once said "Count the number of engines on your aircraft and divide by two. If your answer is two or less, don't try to cross the Atlantic in it!!!" Also those massive underslung engines would cause all sorts of other problems manoevring at 200ft. I think the 737 would be okay if your concept of ops was to co-ordinate with a UAV and just get involved at high level in a benign environment, but that places severe limitations on role. Current thinking seems to be suggesting that UAVs are a long way short of the answer to a politicians prayer that was initially believed.
The huge advantage that MRA4 has is that it is truely adaptable. It can do high level co-ordination, designate targets and destroy them, get down low and prosecute submarines or perform SAR. The capability is being built into MRA4 to expand into many other areas of operation. ie C4ISR. So whilst the 737 is a perfectly good airliner the MRA4 does exactly what it says on the tin.
Multi Role and Attack! The Americans should have a rethink and buy a couple of hundred of them.

Hi Charlie,
I wasn\'t Paddle Switch but I am the phantom strummer. Mrs Eff is in the pink and misses the correctional taps she used to administer to you. The new band is called "Charlie Don\'t Surf" featuring Drew Steel on drums. DVDs are the way ahead but without SAR the opportunity to view is rare.
I remember Hooters and your pork pie hat and the waitress who objected to being bitten on the ###.
Hope Kerry is fine and you are enjoying life.

Rich Lear - Check your PM