PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Beyond Fossil Fuel?
View Single Post
Old 14th Dec 2004, 23:53
16 blades

Short Blunt Shock

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Drapes,

"I suspect the powers that be have been holding back fusion development deliberately"

I wasn't referring to the Govt, or any Govt for that matter, but the people who actually run the world. (and no, not the petrochemical industry). But that's another story altogether.

It may cost us now to kick-start a reactor-building programme again, but we'll save in the long run, as crude becomes (allegedly) more scarce and therefore expensive. Also, we'll have less need to get involved in middle eastern affairs, which can only be a bonus!

The real question (with reference to the thread title here) is whether any of the above can translate into a viable power plant for aircraft. I don't think electric motors will do it (big, heavy, expensive, massive power requirements which mean big, heavy, expensive batteries or generators or whatever). So we're looking at perhaps a Hydrogen-fuelled engine, which likely only produces enough welly burning it directly in a rocket motor. Not very practical for CivAir purposes, but I could envisage an aircraft that takes off and climbs rapidly to sub-orbital levels and glides to destination.

...or is that a space shuttle.......???

16B