PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The "fear factor" in ATC training / service
Old 14th Dec 2004, 19:58
Canary Boy

Received 47 Likes on 25 Posts
‘Fear Factor’

Having given the topic some thought, my initial reaction is that ATC are not the only occupation where a ‘professional error’ (oversight, lack of thought, inadequate knowledge, etc, etc) could lead to a serious incident, and possibly the loss of life. Examples that spring to mind; doctors, drivers of emergency vehicles and yes, aircrew.

If negligence were proven and shown to be culpable (all that legalese that was discussed at huge length on that famous PPrune thread!) then the ‘guilty’ party would inevitably face a penalty of whatever severity. If the courts have thus found, it must surely be only right that, as our democratic society demands (!), justice follows its course.

That said, if training systems work properly and all of the checks and balances of an efficient supervision regime are in place, only personal cock-ups should lead to an incident or accident.

If it really is in the “back of a lot of controllers minds every day….are they really providing the best service?” then I would suggest that the ethos being promoted by SATCO, supervisors etc is entirely wrongly focussed. Properly trained, confident, controllers will know their craft, their personal limitations and when to yell for the help of a supe!

Well that’s what I think anyway!!!!