PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Censorship - Please stop Airline Security SOP's being posted on this site.
Old 18th Sep 2001, 04:50
ornithopter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Danny is right.

Even if this site did let out secrets, what is to stop someone enrolling in a flight school and getting a job with an airline? Do you think my background was checked when I enrolled at a flight school? (not that I have anything to hide). How do you know your neighbour is not a terrorist? If one of my friends is a terrorist without my knowledge does that stop me from enrolling in a flight school if background checks were to be made?

It is good to see that some people have not lost thier sense of reality during these very difficult times. Do not get me wrong, I am as shocked by this as anyone, and upset and all the other emotions that go along with something so terrible, but let's not lose our heads. If we restricted as much as some people suggest, then we will have lost our freedom that so many people fought so hard for. The world wars killed many times more than the WTC and Pentagon and were more serious on a world scale. They were fought so that we could have our freedoms and a single day in history should not stop that. People knee jerk in times like this and miss important things. If for instance we lock aircraft doors then so we should with passenger liners, trains, juggernauts etc. A thousand people could be killed in a train hijack without any difficulty, but because that has not yet happened, people tend to ignore it. If we close down Pprune then what about all the other sources of information a terrorist could use? It is not just aeroplanes, a terrorist can strike anywhere there is an opportunity. Perhaps we should lock up train spotters just in case?

I have been reading Pprune for years, but posted very little, this is because I normally have nothing to add or because threads are getting too long. As someone who has been affected a great deal by the recent events, both personally and professionally, I don't want to see needless restrictions and closing Pprune is ridiculous in the extreme.

I have every sympathy for those involved and hope we can beat terrorism working together, without arguments between us, frank discussion is important and this is the place for it.

Orni