PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - United to Dublin??
View Single Post
Old 13th Dec 2004, 16:35
akerosid

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

I agree with Cyrano. There is simply too much cost for UA. AA has taken the shortest possible route to SNN with the smallest equipment. UA won't want to compete against AA/EI on BOS-SNN or EI/CO on NYC-SNN, so the SNN route pole-axes them (and us, as ever ). It would be good to see them (but hopefully not on ORD-DUB, but preferably IAD/SFO), but UAL is still in a critical financial situation and the last thing it would want is the nonsense of the stopover at this time (like the rest of us need it )

It's not impossible that a deal could be done in time for next Summer, but it's still very much to hope for and neither side seems to be giving way. I'm hoping a side deal can be done between Ireland and the US, but that's still subject to EU approval. One possibility is that if the final EU/US deal comes to fruition, Ireland could offer it a smooth passage (no veto/obstructions), as long as the EU allowed Ireland to strike a deal with the US, but that's unlikely, I think.

So, no UAL to DUB as far as I can see.

We'll have three US carriers to Ireland next Summer anyway (DL, AA, CO), so we're not doing too badly.