PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Let's talk personality.....
View Single Post
Old 13th Dec 2004, 11:26
Airbus Girl

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One of the exercises had to do at the end of training was to have a group discussion on the IDEAL qualities of an airline pilot.
It is an interesting exercise, particularly if you have some friends at the same stage as you.
Consider whether the qualities you choose are IDEAL qualities or just something that a pilot could have.

All those of us who fly know of Captains who we both like and respect and those we don't.

Have a think about people in your own life who you like and respect and consider what qualities they have.

Usually things like confident but with humility, humour without arrogance, well you get the idea...

As for interviews, as said above, I think you need to be yourself but bear in mind pilots are generally considered conservative. They need to be decision makers but also need to be teamworkers.

Consider what questions you may be asked in an interview and what answers would you give.

Like: "Would you consider yourself a risk taker" "No" "Why not?".

One BA type question might be "have you ever operated outside of SOPs" (Standard Operating Procedures).

A good question.

Because I would reckon that about 99% of pilots have. And the interviewer, being a pilot, knows this.

So if you say "no, never, I wouldn't do that, blah, blah" they know you are fibbing.

But then again you wouldn't say "all the time, everyone does, its fine".

So it comes back to being yourself, not lying, but considering your answer before blurting it out.

ie. you could say that there have been one or two occasions where you have operated outside of SOPs because of XXX but safety was never compromised.