PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EC135
Thread: EC135
View Single Post
Old 12th Dec 2004, 18:24
BlenderPilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What the . . . . ?

Wierd!

If you ever come to Acapulco Mexico you will see 212's and being autorotated to the ground everyday, and sometimes 412's also.

A few years back you could see S76's being autorotated to ground everyday in Ciudad del Carmen which is the city where all the offshore helicopters are located.

When I got my very first 212 training I had about 300 hours total and the IP rolled both throttles to idle as I was taking off and had a about 40 ft. and 20 knots, he just wanted to know how I reacted, I was really impressed that you could land a twin so smoothly in those conditions, of course he took over after I just sat there thinking I was going to crash.

My point is I have seen twins being autorotated to the ground for years as part of regular training, some companies prefer not to risk it and send you to the simulator, but if they can't send you to FSI or whatever, then you must practice this in the aircraft.

I know the chance of dual engine failure is very slim, but there are many other reasons for autorotating like TR falilure.