PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PNG Ples Bilong Tok Tok
View Single Post
Old 12th Dec 2004, 06:51
Sharpie

Retired Tiger pilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mike Feeney whom I first met many years ago after a 'dog fight' over Ngarawhahia, is certainly in NZ. Worked for a few years in Wanganui and is now back in Wellington with CAA(again).

I recall another PNG character(still there) telling me that one day(somewhere in Oz) he was cropping in a FU24-225, when he noticed an aircraft shadow which was not his. Quickly looking on 'tother side, he found a FU24 wing tucked in very close and the Feen's smiling face grinning away!

Once a Jolly Chinbu was composed by a Kiwi working for Chansett Airlines of PNG and sung in the Gateway Restaurant many many times during the late 60's - early 70's.
Later on, this lad went on to fame as the 'Woolworths Bomber' and after his release, went back to NZ.

What about Cassius. A really great bloke with the girls? and if I
recall correctly received 'Cassius' after 'dropping' his bird into the gutter outside the Lae Club with a straight right to the jaw!

Any ex Ansett - MAL crew out there recall the Mt Hagen based P166B undergoing 100 hourly in GKA when the gingerbeards found the belly skin quite rippled and gravel worn.

It was believed that such damage could only be caused by overshooting from a wheels-up touchdown. (Where? Mendi, Ialibu, Kopiago, Wapenamunda?)

Then of course there was a Patair hero who did actually land a Pig with the gear up at Bereina. After digging three holes, it was the intention of lowering the gear and getting a gang of local troops to pull the aircraft out.

If the lad had used the alternate pump and gradually let the gear down to check the hole sizes first, he may have achieved his object. But I think that the gear was lowered under hydraulic pressure whereby the wheels jammed.