PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ATPL study time
Thread: ATPL study time
View Single Post
Old 11th Dec 2004, 08:35
High Wing Drifter

Hello!

I have these personal pointers:

* I found that it was very easy studying on the train. If you drive to work, find out what the public transport scheme is and take a bus/train instead. Even if it adds 30mins to the commute, all the better.

* Momentum is crucial. I found it very useful not to get obsessed with high scores in the progress tests. A simple pass is I think suffient to move on to the next section/frame. There is alot of cross referencing and pressing on usually helps make things clear that previously weren't. If, on avg, you get more than 85%, then you are either extremely capable or going too slowly (just a sweeping generalisation to start the day, but you get my point).

* Aim to complete all the tests for the module a month before the brush-up course and then revise. I revised by skim reading the text from the begining and redoing the progress tests. This time I am looking for scores in the nineties.

* This might be controversial. I did not make any notes as such except for a Forumula Dictionary that I made several copies of for easy reference whereever I might be. I found that creating notes was a labourious and slow process that added nothing to the clarity of the original notes. Just reading and remembering worked for me.

* As mentioned above, create a forumla dictionary that lists ALL the formulae and equations in the course. Structure it such that you can easily locate the Met ones, or the Gen Nav ones, etc. Learn and understand these and a good 50% of the course snaps into place without much extra effort and you will be able to work from 1st principles during the exam should you need to.

I somewhat agree with Darlick's comments about the brush-up course. However, I think it went well for me because I had plenty of spare capacity during the course so I could concentrate 100% on detail, exam quirks and slogging through the feedback.

Personally, I really enjoyed the ATPLs. I learned much. Virtually without exception the subjects were fascinating, knowledge of some was long overdue.