PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - how is it possible to make this pictures of the plane?
Old 11th Dec 2004, 05:57
james ozzie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
st marteens approach

I am new to this site so maybe all this has been discussed before - apologies if this is all old ground.

My first reaction to these types of photos is that they must be fakes, for the reason that there is no visible approach lighting to the runway nor ILS fence (though granted it may have ILS in one direction only & therefore be at the other end)

Then I seemed to uncover overwhelming evidence that these photos are all real, so it leaves the question in my mind: Are commercial flights into this field limited to daytime VFR? Or can a daytime ILS approach be flown without approach lighting (I guess so?)

I am not too clued up on Instrument flying but I thought all the heavy metal had to file IFR, though I understand they can elect to change to VFR with the agreement of the destination tower(?) which I assume would happen with each incoming commercial flight? Or do they stay on IFR & use the ILS that I cannot see?

I am sure there are easy answers to all this. Thanks

great site