PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Let's talk personality.....
View Single Post
Old 10th Dec 2004, 15:46
EGBKFLYER
Gizajob

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My view is that pilots are - stop press - human beings!

Despite what we may love to think, we shouldn't be taken in by the stereotype silver fox with the gold braid, hostesses at his feet and a god-like aura. That is a movie image which is at best out of date...

In my experience, pilots are pretty much like any other group of professionals - there are some arrogant ones, some humble ones, some masters and some disasters. You can probably put them into broad categories (technically-minded, literate etc) but then you could do that with doctors, lawyers, engineers, IT folks and a lot of other professions.

I'm not in airline recruitment but I do recruit in my own field. You can generally tell someone who's acting if you ask the right questions - modern airline interviews stand a much better chance of finding those folks out than in previous times.

The best thing you can do is be yourself. There's nothing wrong with emphasising traits that are desirable, which is best done by way of evidence rather than claims (see Pilot Pete's posts on that subject) but having faith in your own character is probably going to be more effective than trying to turn yourself into what you believe the recruiters are looking for (they're human too remember)...