PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Burying wires -- personal experiences
View Single Post
Old 10th Dec 2004, 14:48
stiknruda

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
why 330metres?

Because the 3phase poles march straight across the narrow bit of my land and if it was doing, it was worth doing properly. I have a pole in the centre of my yard and another between 2 paddocks off to one side of the yard.

To do the job, the cable would need to terminate at a pole, that pole would need a bracing guy wire and the cable would enter the ground and run under the guy wire to another pole, run under its new guy wire and climb back up the pole!

Loosing a single pole but gaining 2 guy wires and relocating the transformer from the lost pole to a pole out in the field or on the edge of the property would have enabled me to put down a very long (900 metre) grass strip, but I would have then had to contend with a single braced pole in the yard and another in the middle of a field that someone else (David) farms.

As I operate under the 28 day rule, I was going to put this strip on David, my neighbour's land and thereby have 56 movements a year without planning permission being required. He was going to then use an equivalent area of my land (that he has been covetting for a long time) so that both parties would benefit.

However 4 years later, I suppose that I am pleased that we thought about it, agreed that we could do it but ultimately chose not to - the biggest deciding factor was the £11k. A second strip, an additional 28 movements realistically would never have been worth the cost or hassle.

As long as one is on good terms with the neighbours, never overflies those that don't like your aircraft noise, never does circuits (there is obviously the odd go-around), only aerobatts in the overhead once a year at your annual bash, invites these folk to the same bash, and does not have a stream of traffic circling to land every Saturday and Sunday then the 28 day rule works very well and is not too restrictive! I always offer to take them flying but generally my invitations are not often accepted!

DV's post about mole-draining an alkathene pipe...... that is exactly how I buried the BT cable a metre deep, that ran over my threshold. Mr BT just left me a km reel of cable and and I re-routed it up the side of my farm-track right to the house, using a home made attachment on the back of another neighbour's Caterpillar D4. I dug the bit that goes across my lawn in by hand as I didn't need any more fury from the ex-wife when she realised I'd tracked over it!

Stik