PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hars Connie in Aus Av.
View Single Post
Old 9th Dec 2004, 23:54
OpsNormal

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Feather #3, thank you for your reply. The 'denigration' (as you put it), is in your mind... I merely asked a few deeply searching questions. To membership alas, I had made enquiries at one stage many years ago prior to the procurement of "Connie". Simple for me, as I lived around the corner from Kanadah Ave B.H for a very long time and was aware of HARS existance for quite a while prior to looking into membership.

I wasn't sold on it, so I decided to wait until a public venue where I could perhaps meet a few of the membership and make my own mind up then after talking to some of your organisation representatives. I asked as many questions as I could and could never get a straight answer. After the event at YSBK I was left with an impression less than favourable of your organisation, due mainly to being told: "Nope, don't want your input.... just your money".

I found this odd at the time and still do, as I would have thought that attracting membership would help attract funds for the sort of project that "Connie" is. I'm not alone, many have walked away after experiencing something similar to this.

The "Old Boys Club" aspersion stands.

My first post questioned the relevance of your airframe to Australia.... The first word in your name being "Historical". Whose history is Connie, ours? I can see your point, but there are a great many airframes that served this country in need of work on them, some of them perhaps more relevant to the development of the country to where it is today, let alone ones that protected us in times of war.

I put forward a scenario that would have seen an income being generated from the airframe, things like tours to airshows, charters to the Melbourne cup meetings etc etc. I am aware that after all these years of the aircraft being still airworthy, an interior still hasn't been cobbled together and tickets sold.

People want to ride on/in these machines before they completely disappear.

There are many sorts of people who would want to fly on your machine, and for many sooner would be better so that they can remember what it was like to look out the window and see two radials bolted to each wing before it is too late for them.... the population is ageing. The rest of us would have just wanted to know what it was like to see hear and smell it.

If you want some guidance in that, take a leaf out of the '3801 Society' book. You think your baby is expensive to buy build and run, have a talk to them. I can put you in touch with someone there who knows what the figures are, not just guesses what they are.

Not of late (due mainly to a change to desert scenery), I had been busy of a weekend keeping a private collection of Aussie Military vehicles serviced and running, and taking a hand in the restoration of others as well. So I am aware of the significance of our countries past machines, aircraft and vehicles.

So, it was interesting that you should choose to say I deigrated your organisation, where in actual fact I do support what you are doing in principle (as stated). I just asked a few searching questions and got landslided by someone who didn't read the question to start with and was very quick to attack where no threat existed.

Sounds like Hars may not have yet changed.....