PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 120.17 / 132.7
Thread: 120.17 / 132.7
View Single Post
Old 16th Jan 2002, 04:22
ATCO Two

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face

Flexmode,

I spoke to a colleague today on Thames Radar who witnessed this incident which happened at about FL90 on the TMA SE Low frequency. It is the TMA function to position aircraft 10 nm apart in trail descending to 4000 ft under the standing agreement. As you are aware, the Thames Radar Manoeuvring Area is a very small piece of airspace in which Thames has only the use of two levels. With the increasing levels of traffic operating into EGLC and the expansion of Stansted, even more pressure is being put upon ATCOs to make the system work. Besides you routeing into SPR, there may be other aircraft routeing via DET and LAM all descending to 4000 ft and all wanting to be number one to land. Believe me there is NO conspiracy against FK50 aircraft or any other turboprop, and certainly not against VLM.

Controllers position the aircraft in the most efficient sequence as safely as possible, based on "first come, first served", using their experience and judgement. They take into account the complete picture and consider all the aircraft in their airspace, not just yours. In this case I imagine that the TMA Controller ascertained that the best sequence was to put the Bae146 first, and without knowing the complete traffic situation, who are we to question his actions as long as the standing agreement was met and a reasonable and safe sequence into LCY was achieved?

Point of information, the Bae146 if authorised by ATC in Class A airspace could exceed 250 kts. Thames Radar were I understand, surprised to receive you at 180 kts, but even so this situation is not that unusual.

Perhaps you feel you did lose out on this occasion, but you conveniently seem to forget the number of straight in approaches from SPR you get, sometimes at the expense of aircraft coming through DET or LAM, the "direct DVR" routeings immediately after departure, the opposite direction take offs from runway 10...shall I go on??

Perhaps you need to make time to visit Terminal Control or Thames Radar to see things from our perspective. Thank you for reading this.