PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Balanced Field Length
View Single Post
Old 9th Dec 2004, 10:13
SR71

Mach 3

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cheers Mutt,

One thing (amongst others!) bothers me though with analyses that don't exploit the maximum available distances for "go-ing" or "stopping".

As Old Smokey says, there will be a performance implication, but there will also be a reject implication.

In any situation where a spread of V1 speeds is applicable, if I am working with normal speeds as opposed to improved speeds, by forcing me to go flying for a Vef > V1 in this particular case, rather than reject, I am being denied the opportunity to take advantage of the fact that ASDA(V1_normal) < ASDA(V1_improved) whereupon there may be ample distance available to reject even after V1?

The inherent conservatism (i.e. the ability to stop within the remaining distance available) in ASDA that exists in the case of a rejection at normal V1 speeds exists up to V1_max doesn't it?

Isn't it the case that when departing from a runway using normal V-speeds but that affords you the option of increased V-speeds, technically it is the increased V-speed V1 that is the latest safe point for a reject or am I missing something?

FWIW, a quick peek at RW 24 @ PRG in our FCOM shows a ~30kt spread of V1 speeds for normal versus increased V-speeds T/O. At an average of 150kts, thats probably worth a good 500m...