PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EGKK ATIS - calling for clearance message
Old 8th Dec 2004, 23:45
I'm not joking sir

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EGKK ATIS - calling for clearance message

As a result of a recent software "improvement" in our Host system, there is a message on the EGKK ATIS reminding pilots to call for ATC clearance 15mins before their EOBT and not before. This is as per the UK AIP entry for EGKK.

How do you guys process extra information that is on the ATIS? The reason I ask is because of the amount of crews who are still calling before this time. (A similar one is acknowledging the latest ATIS that advises that GMP is closed but still calling on 121.95!)

By calling early, our workload is being increased as we have to interogate the system to see if your details simply haven't been printed or if you're just calling early.

In the not too distant future, the time at which a squawk is allocated to a flight is going to be reduced to cope with the extra demand on the system and to try and prevent code saturation. Therefore we will not have your details as early as we have in the past. (With the software update it's currently 23mins before EOBT.)

I'm sure that each airline has different SOPs when it comes to obtaining a clearance and that also it might vary with individual preference but please, take note of what extra airfield information is on the ATIS - it's always there for a good reason.