PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Newcastle Aero Club
View Single Post
Old 8th Dec 2004, 15:28
captainben

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looks like the Aero Club could be in a bit of help, this article is from the Newcastle Evening Chronicle:
A chance meeting between a teenager and an international entrepreneur could save Newcastle's ailing Aero Club.

The 79-year-old club, the oldest in the country, was plunged into administration on Friday with debts of £200,000.

The 500 flying enthusiasts, whose club founded Newcastle International Airport, feared the worst last week after management impounded their planes.

But Australian flying school boss Elia Golfin, who lives and works in Florida, has made steps to take over the club.

Mr Golfin last night said that he was "95pc certain" of buying the club.

The 31-year-old, a retired commercial pilot who has schools across the world, heard about Newcastle Aero Club from teenager Mark Wright, of Stanley, County Durham.

The youngster, who trained to be a pilot with Mr Golfin in Florida, set out on his first solo flight on Saturday to mark his 16th birthday.

Mr Golfin's legal team is due to visit the airport today to establish the club's financial state.

He said: "I'm sending my team over, as well as my business partner from Ireland, and they will be trying to find out how bad the debt really is.

"Before I was interested in the club, I had several people from the North-East of England who came out here. One of them, Mark Wright, emailed me to tell me how bad the situation is and I thought `if a 15-year-old kid is passionate enough to do this, I'll have to do something.'

"I want to keep the club for the members and give them the opportunity to fly again.

"We will revamp it and give it a paint job, but otherwise it will be the same."

The news of Mr Golfin's interest was greeted with approval by members who are fed up of being kept in the dark about what has been happening.

The club's oldest member, 81-year-old Ken Doyle, said he hoped the sale would come off.

RAF veteran Mr Doyle, of Davenport Drive, Brunton Park, Gosforth, Newcastle, said: "He apparently has quite a lot of money in his pocket and if he wants to invest it in the club, we would all be delighted.

"I would welcome it and I think everyone would - all we are interested in is keeping this grand old club flying from Newcastle.

"I have flown in Florida and they are the most knowledgeable flyers in the world - I hope he comes."

But flying instructor Keith Lister said: "I just don't see how he can buy it - I really have my doubts.

"We have heard so many rumours and the amount of debt is so high.

"If he wants to inject £100,000, then we would all be delighted, but I really can't see it happening."

Aero Club secretary Barry Lawson refused to comment on any of the takeover rumours last night.

It's the height of happiness

Most 16-year-olds celebrate their birthdays with a party.

But Mark Wright found himself 1,000ft in the air on his birthday on Saturday - on his first solo flight.

The Whickham Comprehensive pupil, of Treefoil Road, Tanfield Lea, Stanley, County Durham, is juggling his GCSE studies with learning to fly.

Parents Alison, 38, and Barry, 42, took him to Florida to learn to fly, where he was taught by Elia Golfin.

Elia, 31, is trying to take over Newcastle Aero Club after meeting Mark - a member of the club.

Mark's father Barry, who works for a tyre company, said: "Mark's interest in flying came from when he went into a cockpit when he was 13.

"Since then, he has been travelling to Florida to learn and rake up his hours. He asked Elia to save the club, so hopefully that will come off.

"We are all very disappointed about the club's demise - Mark wants to fly from his local club."

Mark is the youngest pilot at the club. The eldest, Ken Doyle, 81, said: "I think it is great that a 16-year-old is so interested in flying, and also to try and get the gentleman from Florida to help."

A hope all goes well and this fella saves the club, it will be a great shame if the whole thing goes.