PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Another one retires
View Single Post
Old 8th Dec 2004, 08:13
Bern Oulli

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another one retires

OK, it has been a week since I retired from NATS, but I seem to have been busier than when I was "working".

Bern Oulli, aka "Pedro" within NATS, aka Pete in other places, retired at the end of November after 37+ years in ATC. For all you newbies entering the profession I'll tell you now it has been GREAT. I would do it all over again. I suspect that I was privileged to experience the golden years of modern aviation however. Is it just my advancing years or is the business getting far too serious?

A quick resumé then, to bring back a few memories to some of the oldies. Started life on No.1 Student Cadet Course in 1967. Never heard of it? Well it was the only one I think, subsequently split into Nos. 11 and 12 Cadet Courses. Anyone remember Mike Hunt and Wotsisname Summerhaze (sp?)?) The deal was you only needed 1 "A" level instead of 2, and to compensate, did 6 months as an ATCA (as they were then) at an airfield and a center before doing the Cadet thing proper. Now there's a good idea. Did my thing at Scottish Center (Remember Redbrae and Gailes Radar?) , and Edinburgh Turnhouse. Then on to the courses proper, validating at Stansted (ADC), Guernsey (APP & APR), Ulster Radar (ah, the Ardglass Arms!), and Preston Center (Barton Hall) for the Area thing. A three and a half year course children. It is quicker now but is it better? Oh, I nearly forgot. Cambridge for a couple of months to do the PPL thang.

Then posted to Stansted but after 2 years got an offer I could not refuse and left the CAA (as was then) and went to Guernsey for 17 years. Came back to NATS to instruct at the good old College of Knowledge in 1989 where I managed to stay until now.

So I managed to work for the Ministry of Civil Aviation, Board of Trade, Department of Trade (& Industry?), CAA and NATS, not to mention the States of Guernsey Civil Service.

Stretching from when jets were a novelty to when the sight of a propeller raises the blood pressure, all in one career. I missed out on flying boats. Not bad I think.

I've also tried to work out how many trainee ATCOs have passed by me and gave up. Lots and lots. When it came to the point of trainees that I remember teaching coming back to the College as instructors or worse, my manager (she is very nice really), I realised that I had been in the game too long!

I shall still take an interest and to all those out there who remember me, just keep 'em apart like we told you!

Heathrow Director, move over and make room.

When in doubt, "Roger, Out".