PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AA 587 Final Report
View Single Post
Old 8th Dec 2004, 02:14
Idle Thrust

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Large Jet, Small Jet, Any Jet, for that matter Any Airplane:

Basic training has always taught that you deflect the flight controls with great discretion especially in the higher speed range of the envelope. Doesn't matter whether it is a Cessna or an SST; full deflection will stress/can over-stress the airframe. Sure, in a full stall in a C-172, you will use full rudder to counteract yaw and avert a spin but in a large jet ?? At speed ???

Yes, most modern transports have "built-in" protections from such inputs, either mechanical stops or hydraulic limiters, but it is really a stretch to see a major carrier (AA) teaching pilots to yard the rudder from stop to stop (limiters notwithstanding) just to cope with turbulence. And also .... are we talking turbulence or "jet upset" - there is a big difference. My experience with jet transports ranging from the DC-9 to the B-747 is that one is best advised to just hang on and damp out the motion (if hand flying) or let the autopilot cope if in auto-flight. Intervening with aggressive inputs, especially on the rudder, is counter to everything that I was taught and that experience enforced.

While most of the early jet transports needed all the rudder for an engine failure at the critical speed, most of the more modern ones are "over-ruddered" and only require a portion of that available - you can actually fly through an engine failure at the critical speed using aileron alone. It's not pretty, but it works. So why would an airline teach stomping on the rudder to cope with turbulence? Especially at speeds well above the stall.

I do not always agree with 411A, especially when he knocks AA, but he does have a point here. They/he broke that airplane.