PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot arrested at Manchester (merged)
View Single Post
Old 7th Dec 2004, 23:13
bjcc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your point is well made, except perhaps that the limit for engineers is the same as the road traffic act which applies to everyone who drives for a living.

There really is no need for a clerk to have a limit on how much he's had to drink, the worst harm he is going to do is stab himself with a paper clip...The same goes for many occupations.

Those where there is a safety implication are becoming more regulated....Train drivers, ships crews are all covered by similar legislation.

Whether or not everyone on your list will ever be subject to something similar I don't know. However I would be more than happy to see a ZERO BAC for anyone in a saftey related job, or one where they could cause harm by thier actions, yes I include the Police in that.

Someone has suggested before that the limits applying to aircrew and ATCO's should also apply to anyone working at an airport, I agree, at the moment because its private property you can't even breath test a baggage handler with a 4 ton truck once he's airside. That same baggage driver can do a fair amount of harm with his 4 tonnes worth.

Parliament passed the law, apparently they operate on behalf of the public (OK its a nice theory) and if you ask the public what they want on the subject of pilots drinking what reply do you think you would get?

Ultimatly the responsibility lays with the person subject to legislation, whether that be a pilot deciding how much to drink, or a Police Officer having to decide in a split second if he's justified in shooting someone.

I chose to be a Police officer when I left school, and in doing so I had to accept the restrictions (of which there were many) that applied to my life away from work. Those restrictions changed over time, some for better, some for worse, at the end of the day the choice was still mine, either I accept them , or vote with my feet. The same applies here, if people don't feel they should or can accept changing conditions they have the option to leave. Just as when I left the Met the world will keep spinning.....

Your quote is well known, but in this case break it and it may well earn you 6 months.