PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot arrested at Manchester (merged)
View Single Post
Old 7th Dec 2004, 21:42
ILS 119.5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There is a famous saying, which goes along the lines,

Rules are for the guidance of the wise and obedience of idiots.

I do not agree/disagree with the new laws but thay have gone too far and only applying to certain aviation professions. What about doctors, surgeons, lorry drivers, taxi drivers, etc etc the list can be endless. During the 2nd world war, and I'm sure many recent conflicts, soldiers are given drugs to survive. How many soldiers are shot by their own people? I know it's not a great analogy but how far do we go to prove safety?
If laws are to be applied, then it should not be to one certain profession but to everyone. The aviation is the safest profession in the world and I, as an aviator, will always try to ensure that. But this does not stop a lorry driver driving through my village at 30mph, being slightly under the drink driving limit, and ploughing through my children walking home from school. However a commander of an aeroplane knows that if he is over the limit he does not go to work, also bearing in mind there are three more people to help him, one f/o, and 2 a/p's.
Two choices, either bring all professions under the same limit or readjust the whole system to be fair.
Rgds