PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bewildering choice buying new laptop. M, Centrino, P4 ????
Old 7th Dec 2004, 14:27
Evo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4.5kilos? That weighs nearly as much as my iMac...

Seriously, that's the kind of laptop that makes almost no sense to me. It's a games machine - nothing else needs the processor or graphics - but if you want a games machine, you can build a better-spec desktop for half the money. Plus the desktop can be upgraded easily, and bits can be swapped out when they fail. OK, add in a couple of hundred quid for a nice TFT monitor, but you've still saved a bundle - heck, you could buy a second-hand laptop for use on the move and you've still saved money. Or you could buy a regular laptop and a PS2...

If you can't have a desktop because you need a machine to carry around, then this is just too heavy. If you're moving it from the car boot to the office then it's alright I guess, but I moan at my T40 if I have to carry it around an airport, and that's half the weight. My old 1.2kg Vaio was more like it for a portable machine.

So i'm

Thinking about it some more, does it come with asbestos underpants? Not sure that I'd want that on my lap otherwise