PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - LHR Breathtest. Update: Captain jailed
View Single Post
Old 7th Dec 2004, 13:12
bjcc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Perhaps before people express thier wish to hang the security guard they should consider a few important points.

BAA security are not allowed to use inititive, they react in a prescribed way to things. That means they call Police to all sorts of things that wouldn't normally justify it.

He would inform his supervisor who then would inform his, the message would eventualy get to the BAA's control Centre at heathrow, who would have, and ineed did call the Police. It isn't in BAA terms thier responsibility to take issue with a pilot, nor to give him advice, as many have rightly pointed out, they are not experts.

The pilot believed he was under the limit, who are the BAA to question that? They lack both the skills and the equiptment to do so.

I presume you would not expect the BAA to have a word in the ear of a driver who was about to get in his car when smelling of drink? Or to tell a shop lifter that they really shouldn't try to steal something. Why should they do so in the case of a pilot?

I can see why you regard the security guard as a 'snitch' but please consider that many of you are pilots and have called police to people on your aircraft who you claim to be drunk, not causing any danger to anyone, just drunk. You see no harm in that, and don't regard yourselves as 'snitches'. There is no difference in what the guard did to that action.

Something I really think should be mentioned is as follows:

I unit of alcohol = 1/2 pint

legal limit for driving is approx 2.5 units

therefore 1 unit would give a BAC(from a breath specien) reading of about 14

He gave a breath test sample (at time of arrest) of 69, equivilent to about 4.9 units. (2.5 pints)

alcohol leaves the avarage person at the rate of one unit an hour

he had 12 hours since the last drink. So you can presume that if he lost one unit per hour then he would have had to have at had about 12 units before he stopped drinking plus the 4.9 he had at the time he was arrested.

That makes a total of 17 units or the equivilent of 8 1/2 pints.

I am not going to try to take it back further to the lunch time, as its pointless but it does show how much he could well have had to drink.