Thread: Last RAF kill
View Single Post
Old 7th Dec 2004, 06:53
Heimdall

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
IAF v RAF

Jackonicko

A couple of points about your last post:

I have also spoken to a number of ex-208 Sqn pilots who were involved in the incident on 7 Jan 49. Although everyone was keen to extract revenge on the Israelis (or more accurately two mercenary pilots - a Canadian and an American) they were expressly forbidden from doing so by the HQ. No one I spoke to would confirm that any further incident took place and as the IAF have no record of any subsequent attack on any of their bases or planes by the RAF, I believe the claims of having extracting ‘revenge’ are just wishful thinking.

The four 208 Sqn Spitfire FR18 that were shot down on 7 Jan 49 were armed and could return fire – Geoff Cooper did just that against the American who attacked his aircraft.

I have spoken to Brian Spragg and he did not shoot down an IAF Spitfire on 7 Jan 49. He did obtain some hits on one aircraft, but it later landed safely back in Israel and was subsequently repaired. In the event, he never actually claimed a kill.

I still believe that Tim McElhaw has the last confirmed and completely RAF air-to-air kill.

Heimdall
www.spyflight.co.uk