PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Icing and De-Icing
View Single Post
Old 6th Dec 2004, 19:52
None

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Cabin Check

>>"2) After the incindent many years back with the Air Florida 737, it used to be a requirement after de-icing for the pilot to come back and look at the wing prior to take-off. I had experiences of pilots with torches looking out the pax window and am not sure how effective this was but it may have helped. From the front seat, how do you tell if the de-icing has been sucessful (other than time before next one needed)"

Mike Jenvy has given a thorough response. I would like to tag on with a follow up to your second question. The rules are quite extensive, probably to accommodate the many varieties of icing environments which might be encountered. In this light, the operation I am with developed a flow diagram.

The post-deicing section shows that a cockpit check (a check of representative aircraft surfaces which are visible from the cockpit) is required prior to every takeoff.

The cockpit check is not sufficient when the holdover time has expired. The holdover time varies depending on the type of deicing fluid used, as well as the type of icing environment the aircraft is being exposed to. In this case a cabin check is required. The cabin check is accomplished from the "best vantage point(s)" in the cabin. Normally the pilot would look at the leading and trailing edges, because that is where evidence of fluid failure will present itself first. The engine inlets would also be checked. We have wing illumination lights that help in this visual inspection. The flashlight/torch is helpful in checking the mid section of the wing.

The takeoff roll must commence within a specified time after accomplishing either the cockpit or the cabin check.

The fluid will remain on the wing until a certain speed during the takeoff roll (depends on the type of fluid). All fluids should be shed by the time the jet lifts off.