PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Leg Room
Thread: Leg Room
View Single Post
Old 6th Dec 2004, 17:35
ManAtTheBack

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cyrano

Thanks for pointing that out. I have no plans to visit Denmark in the near future but would consider them if I did. I wish Maersk luck but fear that short haul is not the idealplace to try such an experiment.

Generally, a large number of airlines offer extensive IFE, which is both expensive to install and maintain, and imposes a weight penalty on the aircraft. However, only a few seem interested in giving a little extra room, even at a reasonable supplement.

On the question of economics, and AA's withdrawal of More room in coach an extra 10% legroom would not cost the airline anything on flights with less that 90% load factor, which would be a large number of them. At peak times some revenue would be lost but this could be the deep discount fares (admittedly higher than off-peak times) so I would not think that 10% extra space would reduce revenue by 10%.

Finally, airlines might like to recognise that people who are treated well when they spend their own money often choose the same airline when others are paying. On a recent domestic trip I was offered, without prompting, an emergency exit seat at check-in. I will bear this in mind next time it comes to choosing to spending my employers (business class) money between competing airlines.

Last edited by ManAtTheBack; 6th Dec 2004 at 17:49.