PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Composite fuselages
View Single Post
Old 6th Dec 2004, 01:30
ElectroVlasic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bringing an old thread back to the top...

From GlobalSecurity.Org :
Composite materials got the nod over rival aluminium alloys as they provided greater durability, reduced maintenance, and increased potential for future development. Interestingly, there was little weight difference between the two materials and the cost of the fabricating composite components has become more competitive.
It seems this agrees with the discussion in this thread. A lot of the discussions of composites on the 7e7 talk about weight savings, but the more expert analysis that I read says there will be no weight savings. Also I have read that most of the layup work for the 7e7 will be done by robots, thus reducing labor cost. Add this to the fact mentioned above that composite structures lower the part count, the goal of minimizing labor cost is clearly a focus.

Can anyone comment on how composites will increase the potential for future development, as mentioned in the quote above?

Also can someone comment on the risk factor: what if this doesn't go to plan? I saw the TV documentary on JSF and it showed a failed use of a one-piece wing surface, and I've read how a big part of the failure of the A12 attack bomber was due to the use of composite structures that never met their design goals.

Thanks!