PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EH101 Merlin
Thread: EH101 Merlin
View Single Post
Old 5th Dec 2004, 23:34
NickLappos

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ZH844 and Flypro,

I mean no disrespect to British or American servicemen, if you think I do, it is not my intent, nor is it in my words. It is in your interpretation, which I cannot control. I think you have stepped into a long thread at the end, and I hope you misunderstand my point.

Here is a note I sent a friend who PM'd me with his concerns:

I introduced the comparison and therefore am guilty of having offended you. My purpose is to help explain the sacrifice of both countries, not to discredit either, if I appear to do so, it is not my intention, nor in my words. I know WWII history quite well, and have never doubted the dedication and sacrifice of the Empire troops, and their key role in the victory. The purpose in showing the great mutual sacrifice of the UK and US in WWII is to show that the US never asked for what Blair and Berlusconi think is due them for Iraq - the automatic purchase of EH-101 helicopters as political payback for military support.

Please also note that I am probably more offended than you are at me by this British and Italian request for "payment for services." With one son in Afghanistan and 47 employees of Sikorsky in the desert right now, I am aghast that this British and Italian political pressure to pay for services rendered is somehow part of the Presidential decision.

A diplomatic mission from Italy is enroute to DC right now to press Bush on this very subject - "Buy my helicopter because I helped you out." Blair went public last week with his appeal based on the same distasteful logic, and by going public, makes it even harder for Bush to ignore it.

If I have offended you, I do apologize, I have never knowingly tried to reduce the glory of those who served and died to defeat our mutual enemies. Knowing that this is interpreted as an attempt to belittle their sacrifice saddens me that I have so badly missed my mark.

As a combat veteran, and the son of one, I can think and feel like one, and I still find no such dishonor in my original words. I do regret that you do. And because I do not wish to inflame any of my pprune friends, I have pulled down the offending remarks from my posts.

Last edited by NickLappos; 5th Dec 2004 at 23:58.