PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Obeying requests when on a FIS
View Single Post
Old 5th Dec 2004, 19:43
NorthSouth

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
pm:
If you want accurate traffic information based on radar you should ask for a RIS
But if you're given it without asking should you say "no thanks I'm going to ignore that because I didn't ask for it"?
Pilots must be left in no doubt that they are not receiving a radar service
Indeed, which is why "identified Flight Information Service" fits the bill quite nicely. You know you're not getting a radar service but you also know that the controller has the additional tool of your radar position to assist with traffic info. Doesn't stop you from looking out the window. Good case in point today. Just left the zone on a FIS from XXXX. They called "traffic in your 2 o'clock SE-bound indicating 2500 ft unverified". Actually that traffic was in our 1030 - although of course there may also have been tfc in our 2 o'clock which we didn't see. I spotted the 1030 just as the call came in and I was directing my attention to 2 o'clock. Then again that begs your question pieman. Would the call have been more accurate (i.e 10/11 o'clock instead of 2) if I had been under a RIS? I doubt it. The other thing this unit is very good at is, just before you leave CAS they'll tell you how busy the adjoining airspace looks - "be advised multiple contacts in the xxxx area". Very handy.