PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TR Failure Drills
View Single Post
Old 5th Dec 2004, 19:27
ShyTorque

Avoid imitations

Location: Wandering the FIR and cyberspace often at highly unsociable times
Received 466 Likes on 246 Posts
RedAnt,

I don't think there is a "blanket" answer. Each aircraft has slightly different characteristics and the multiple failure modes cloud the issue. There may also be more than one way of flying the aircraft to a safe landing.

My own main strategy for a TR control failure is the same as your own, namely to aim to get the nose out to the retreating blade side for approach which allows a gentle tweak on the collective to bring the nose straight whilst cushioning the landing.

This has been proven to work for both clockwise and counterclockwise main rotors from my own experiences in a number of different simulators (my own personal practice and also instructor duties). If there is no pressing need to land, I would consider a dummy approach or two at altitude to discover what will work best.

There is an obvious trap for pilots who fly different types, with opposing main rotor directions - it is possible to become confused about what is happening with regard to yaw directions, especially as during a complete rotor thrust loss situation the pilot action may need to be almost instinctive if control and structural integrity is to be maintained. I have always tried to avoid the advice of "lucky left / rotten right" for this reason. I am very confident that a very high percentage of us can remember which way the rotors were turning at startup (!) so the retreating blade is a very useful answer. *The lucky side is the retreating blade side , both for the safe side for the nose to be and the best side for the crosswind to be from on landing*.

P.S. *unless the pilot is faced with a very high TR power situation, which isn't too likely unless a servo runaway has occurred.

With regard to your question about C of G change.... a very significant change is very likely, to the point of the situation being non-recoverable.

Last edited by ShyTorque; 5th Dec 2004 at 21:16.