PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TR Failure Drills
View Single Post
Old 5th Dec 2004, 18:15
Red Ant

Location: Oxygen deprived.... don's ask complicated questions
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Some help guys, this is my pattern of thought when faced with uncommanded yaw or loss of tail rotor control. I would like some input and suggestions on safer/ perhaps more efeective methods

- TR control failure : high pitch angle(TR) , set up approach with nose yawed off towards retreating side of disc, by decreasing collective pitch, test speed at which nose aligns with direction of motion at safe height(500'), approach long flat smooth surface for a run-on landing, get within a few feet(safe tail rotor height clearance ) of the ground and slow down and thus incr. collective untill nose straightens out and run-on to ground.

- Neutral pedal(control system) stuck : similar but higher run-on speed. and the more it leens toward minimum tail rotor pitch stuck, best to enter auto/ semi-auto and do slide/run-on.

- Complete loss of tail rotor thrust/ tail rotor blades/ gearbox failure etc. I was tought to enter autorotation and do heigher than normal flare and then try to flare off all speed before cushioning onto ground. With the bigger twins (10t+ ) higher inertia will alow possibly a bit of yaw towards retreating side during flare before sink starts, thus a run on perhaps possible (gearbox drag). Once entered autorotation and sufficient height and time, inc speed to manuf. recommended V for loss of tail rotor thrust and start to increase coll pitch and correct with bank, as mentioned by 'NickLappos', but down to what altitude would you follow such an extended glide to (agl) before entering full auto again ? and also what sort of flare would be best for small and large heli's ?

Any replies appreciated greatly guys