PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - DAP Plate Name Changes
View Single Post
Old 5th Dec 2004, 17:39
prop-wash

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question DAP Plate Name Changes

One for all those IFR guys and gals. In the November 25 plate update, the names for the different approaches have been modified. I will use Cairns as an example.

Runway 15 used to have a plate called a 15 ILS / 15 LLZ DME / 15 LLZ and you were cleared for either of those depending on what you wanted or what ground equipment was operating. Under the new system it is called and you are cleared for a 15 ILS approach, regardless of whether the GP is working.

VOR/DME and NDB/DME approaches are now called VOR A and NDB A approaches. VOR and NDB approaches are now called VOR B and NDB B. GPS NPA approaches have now been renamed RNAV approaches. The 33 LLZ approach is still a 33 LLZ approach.

Now the VOR, NDB and RNAV approaches I don't really have a problem with as they are still defined as to what equipment you are using and their associated minimas. The ILS however has me a little baffled. Do you think that being cleared for an ILS approach when the GP is not operating gives a false impression of what is available, a possible misreading of the associated minimas or contradicts itself when the GP is not working?

Your thoughts please on this latest bit of ICAO conforming.