PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot arrested at Manchester (merged)
View Single Post
Old 5th Dec 2004, 17:18
cargo boy
I've only made a few posts so I don't feel the need to order a Personal Title and help support PPRuNe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Danger

Selfin, please go and find somewhere else to argue your case. You appear to be one of the 13.2% of non-pilots who have an opinion on 26.8% of matters relating to the 99.9999% of professional pilots in the UK who have never had an accident that was related to alcohol. Your constant reference to statistics to bolster a weak argument that shows no insight into the debate being conducted here just goes to prove that 89.3% of all statistics are made up on the spot.

As for someone claiming to have a relative who is an alcoholic pilot and is regularly endangering many others by working whilst under the influence and then coming on here claiming that no one is doing anything about it, what is your point? Why not take the initiative and do something about it yourself?

Most large airlines have systems in place where colleagues who have a drink or drug problem can be assisted by their peers through confidential reporting and a support/recovery system. It isn't the be all, end all solution but it has a reported success rate where it is in place.

As for working with colleagues who are under the influence? I have never come across this problem. Doesn't mean it doesn't exist but then I've never had a real engine failure whilst working and I do know that they exist. I don't come up with statistics made up at random though. Maybe I should. In my experience, 0.0% of pilots are alcoholics because I've never had to work with one. Same applies to engine failures.

The debate on here should be focused on the arbitrary limits as they have been set by the authorities and the methods of detecting them. What we appear to have is the usual misinterpretation of "drunk" and "over the limit" which can be two very different things. Of course, it suits those without a real understanding of the issues to resort to more emotive terminology with a sprinkling of ad-hoc statistics.