PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What makes them different?
View Single Post
Old 5th Dec 2004, 06:56
Farfrompuken

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pink-one,

a huge head start is available in the amount of pre-flight prep. If you've covered and pondered as many 'what-ifs?' as you can before you leave your crew room, this can translate to bucket loads of spare capacity in the air.

For example, if you've really thought about your poor wx options/alternative routing etc at low level, you won't get caught out when your first turning point is out in fog (provided you can navigate in the first place).

When I came through as a stude, I genuinely worked hard, but thought I'd be a fraud if I had to rely on thinking about all that stuff on the ground. I thought if you had talent, you'd come up with that stuff in the air. What a load of b@ll@cks! Now I instruct and am a tad more grown up, I recognise that process as 'essential pre-flight prep'. I now find life much easier as a result!

As someone mentioned earlier, the thinking is that you're born with a level of 'capacity'. Improving the way you use your allowance is the key. Pre flight prep is a great way to do it.

Good luck, and enjoy !!