PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Abu Dhabi GT 767 First Officers
View Single Post
Old 5th Dec 2004, 06:12
NTM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey Trader,

Yes.
Some do it from Europe (LHR), India. They go home at least once a month. Not for long period, but they are home.
Canada, US. It is a lot harder, but possible. And you would have to redefine commuting then.
Personally (California), I manage to get back every 6-8 weeks, for about 1 week each time. That is excluding the 52 days of leave per year.
We take the leave in 2 separate blocks of 26 days. I don't believe we can break it into smaller periods.
If you live on the east coast, probably easier.
But the rostering people will help you. You scratch their backs, they will scratch yours...Be prepared to be their B----....
Also be ready to work to the maximum limit to achieve this. With the absolute minimum rest in between trips. Given that we are given 8 days off a month. Sometimes more (9,10). But 99.9 % of the time it is only 8. [ Sounds bad, but it isn't. If you lived full time on base, you could be home about 15-20 nights a month]
I found that the best way is to;
Request the last 4 days of the month off and the first 4 days off of the following month. You get that most of the time.
Then You "work" with rostering to modify a few trips to extend that period by a few more days. It is a lot of work to achieve this. But absolutely possible.

God Luck,