PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air India Capt fires F/O outstation
View Single Post
Old 5th Dec 2004, 01:04
MercenaryAli

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
All very interesting!

I have to say that I am very glad I shall be an ex Captain in a couple of years time. My dear father (an ex BOAC/BA training captain) used to bemoan the "new generation" of F/O's who thought they knew it all and knew very little! CRM training has done little to improve the situation. The word I think I am looking for is "humility". . nobody is suggesting that the Captain knows everything, in fact the Captain that knows everything should have retired already. . . because he has nothing left to fly for if he knows it all; but and this is a very big word - but the F/O is not the aircraft commander nor is he in charge of the crew.
Hopefully the Captain will take into consideration the thoughts and suggestions of the F/O BUT it is the Captain who makes the DECISIONS..not the F/O, not the CSD, not the Chief Hostess the Captain. Perhaps in the Halcyon old days of BOAC the Captain was a little O.T.T with his "Wheels up, Flaps up. Shut up" - but when the F/O begins to question the authority of the Captain and declares that he is happy, no! eager to walk off a flight because the Captain has upset his EGO, then CRM has gone very wrong and in my view taken a wrong turn someplace.

For those of you who think (believe) I am a xxxxxxx as suggested by other posters, maybe I am but let me tell you this - I still get some of my old F/O's whom I have not actually flown with nor seen for many years call me up from time to time; they still call me "Boss" (and trust me the respect is mutual) and most of them are now Captains themselves or on the way to command - so I guess I am not so bad as some of you would wish to have me painted!!

Anyways - I question your sanity when you let posts from me wind you up, you should get out more!!

Ha ha ha !!