PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MK Airlines B747 crash at Halifax
View Single Post
Old 4th Dec 2004, 22:49
broadreach

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gosh, we all seem to be basing so much on a single photograph! And on the unlikelihood of just two centre gear marks apparent on the berm.

What seems most unlikely to me is that the four tracks up the berm shown in the photograph taken shortly after the accident could possibly have been made by anything else that the MK aircraft. Yes, I'll wait for the report but I'll be very surprised if the tracks happen to be from a passing tractor! And I am, of course, intrigued at the lack of outboard gear tracks although there may be just a hint of the starboard gear's passage at the very base of the berm.

It the faint mark of the starboard gear is, in fact, that, where are those of the port gear? Could it be that the outboard gear bogies rode up the berm without leaving marks or, by reason of the greater length of the strut, collapsed and folded back a fraction of a second earlier? The inboard gear certainly wouldn't have had the option of collapse; it would go up the berm or through it.

Another thought. The berm is covered in grass. But the ground underneath is pretty hard at this time of year. If, in fact, the tracks leading up the berm are this aircraft's, just to get that deep might indicate a very heavy impact.