PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ?Highschool or University?
View Single Post
Old 4th Dec 2004, 18:53
go_solo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As benyfly said, it’s good to know you have a qualification behind you and it certainly wont hurt any application you make for a flying job. Don’t worry about being 24, if you look around pprune you’ll find loads of people who made the move much later in their lives, plus uni is great fun and if you’re lucky you can also get some flying in then. I managed to get my PPL and a few hours while at uni and I doubt I would have done it if I’d been working full time.

Management is a good subject to study because much of a modern pilots role is systems management and decision making. It will also give you a good grounding in industry, which most airlines like their pilots to have.

However, a technical subject such as physics, maths or engineering can also be really helpful when you have to sit the ATPL ground school, plus they’re looked on favourably by the military and airlines.

Ultimately, its got to be up to you but don’t choose a subject because you think it will help you to be a pilot, do something that interests you. Remember that you’ve got to study it for 3 or 4 years and it’s bad enough studying something you enjoy and have an interest in. (especially if you’ve given up being a life guard in Portugal to do it )

Go_Solo