PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TR Failure Drills
View Single Post
Old 4th Dec 2004, 17:57
SASless

Received 564 Likes on 233 Posts
Pedals stuck in the "power applied" position should be no big deal....being of the generation that learned how to manipulate the throttle on the collective....I understand all that theory. As I got older....and got more lazy and probably beginning to suffer from alcohol induced memory loss.....I find simply reducing Nr to the minimum I can stand....and landing the helicopter a lot easier. The only way to reduce the excess tail rotor thrust for the collective setting is by slowing the tail rotor RPM thus making it produce less thrust....as I see it. Make a shallow approach...hold your airspeed up....get to a foot or so off the runway....decelerate slowly....until the nose aligns with the runway or you come to a hover...then set the aircraft down. No fancy thinking which way to move the collective and/or throttle.

In that I have flown both lefthand and righthand turning rotor systems....I had to settle upon a common method for that....thus power foot forward....no big deal. Power off foot forward....takes a bit more thinking.....

Recently.....I was indoctrinated into the "approved Euro way of handling BK stuck right pedal situations". It was done at night on NVG's.....and the solution being extolled was to find an airspeed that allowed the aircraft to streamline and then land at a fair old clip using collective position to align the nose of the aircraft with the runway whizzing by at 80-90 knots. This method I found altogether uncomfy and suggested I would be more comfortable doing an engines off autorotation to the runway. I feel rolling over on my side or something at minimum ground speed and all power off would be more desirable than running off the runway in the dark at warp speed and full engine power applied to the rotor system when it hit paydirt.

In US systems....left foot forward is good news....right foot forward calls for some airmanship.

One man's opinion anyway!