PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A few questions (Cardiff procedures)
View Single Post
Old 4th Dec 2004, 11:37
Spitoon

Very general answers because I'm not familiar with either FF or TE procedures.

In the FF example, I would have said that the clearance you were given - without any other level conditions - permits you to descend in the hold to the initial approach level. Think of it this way - the clearance you've been given is from where you are all the way down to the runway threshold. Without any other contraints it's up to you how you profile the descent (subject to the relevant procedures). BUT, that's my view. Whatever the books say on examples like this, there are varying opinions held by pilots and controllers the world over. If you're not sure and want to check, a quick call requesting confirmation that you can descent to the initial approach level will sort it out. Controllers don't bite - well not often - and much prefer to be asked something like that than suddenly see you dropping toward another aircraft!

As a side issue, the reason that you will often be put into the hold at FL40 or thereabouts is to keep the standard missed approach level clear in case someone goes round (in the worst case, with a radio failure).

As for TE, the only call that you might make - or be asked to make - when you pass over the beacon on final is 'beacon inbound'. I don't think it's an essential or required call but it's a long time since I worked an aerodrome with that configuration. You are more likely to be asked to make such a report if there's no radar because the controller may use it to establish a separation of some sort - although the only one that comes to mind is that he/she may not be permitted to clear an aircraft for take-off if an inbound has passed that point.

Hope this helps and good luck with the test.