PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A few questions (Cardiff procedures)
View Single Post
Old 4th Dec 2004, 11:10
tom775257

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fish A few questions (Cardiff procedures)

Hi there,
I wonder if you could answer a few questions please (IR trainee pilot, approaching IR test)

Regarding Cardiff it is a shame we can’t train there, as it means we can only fly the procedures in the sim, thus not getting a feel for the way ATC deal with you in ‘real life.’
My problem was as follows. Flying in the PA-34 simulator into the CDF hold FL40, QNH 1030. I was given the clearance along the lines of ..’next time over the beacon cleared for ILS/DME approach runway 30, report beacon outbound.’ OK so I have to maintain my assigned FL until beacon outbound. Outbound into the alternate procedure and I set QNH..darnit now at 4,500 altitude and only 5 miles with a tail wind to descend to 1513feet. You can do it but you really need to get the nose down….it is nice to have the aircraft nicely stable at correct altitude before the base turn, rather than trying to manage leveling off/ base turn/ loc and g/s interception, gear, flaps and speed reduction all around a very short period of time while flying asymmetric..
Specifically on the procedural CAT A/B ILS DME RWY 30, if you route to the CDF to hold, what level are you typically cleared for the procedure at, and is it usually with an instruction not to descend before beacon outbound or not.

Also a quick question about terminology: If you are on an NDB procedure with the beacon off the airfield e.g. Exeter, I assume if you leave the hold at the beacon you are “beacon outbound”….fair enough, same as any other procedure. Now you turn inbound to the runway, is the terminology the same as per a ‘normal’ NDB approach. Call base turn complete, and then do you have to call anything to ATC for when you change from tracking a QDM to the beacon to tracking a QDR from the beacon on final?

Many thanks for any help,
Tom