Thread: Minimum ROD
View Single Post
Old 23rd Aug 2001, 22:35
NorthernSky

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Alfie,

Don't get me wrong, I'm with him too!

My point (which relates mostly to non-UK ATC) is that there is reasonably frequent use of this less-than-specific form of words. Yes, I do seek clarification - but others don't, and I share the sky with them (we all do). The solution is for ATC to recognise this, and to use an expression like 'just for my information' or to confirm 'free speed'.

Why, in any case, would you be interested in knowing the instant speed of an aircraft in your sector, unless to decide what speed to impose?

In particular, and despite the recent recognition of this issue, many ATCOs don't understand energy management clearly, and don't realise that in a typical descent between FL350 and FL150, say, I may vary the speed between 340kts and 210kts several times, in order to fly efficiently and to manage the descent. Some aircraft do this automatically, others rely on the pilots, some of whom do use the technique and some don't.

However, I don't want to bog us down in a single issue, and I must say that this doesn't frighten me half as much as 'Descend FL80 and contact.....' or 'Cleared for Take-off rwy 14' whilst the previous landing aircraft is still on the runway, or..... shall I go on?

HF issues are real ones, and we need to be conscious of them.

BTW 'foible' is spot on (from the French faible), and good to see the dust blown off a great word

[ 23 August 2001: Message edited by: NorthernSky ]